You have an ALA accredited master's degree and a number of years library experience.
Would you be interested in continuing your education with a web based online practical doctorate that included a mentoring program, field research, and a curriculum relevant to your interests ?
I am surveying practitioners regarding their interest in such a degree and then will contact educators to find if there are faculty interested in teaching in such a program.
I have submitted a poster paper for ALA in which I hope to present the results.
I would appreciate your completing my survey
To take the survey please click here
Results for: The Non Research Doctor of Library as of February 8, 2002
1) I would like to earn a non-research Doctor of Library Science degree True 48 (63%)False 28 (36%)
2) I alrady have a doctorate in library science True 4 (5%)False 72 (94%)
3) If the course were web based I would like to use the following software WebCT 34 (44%)Blackboard 18 (23%)Other 11 (14%)
4) It you answered "other" to the above question which course management software would you prefer (The last five responses are given) - Anlon- anlon- I'm not familiar with either of these.- pretty much any that have a wholly web client- pretty much any that have a wholly web client Click to view ALL responses
5) I would like to emphasis this area in such a degree Leadership, management, and supervision 30 (39%)Technical services - cataloging, serials, acquisitions 6 (7%)Public services - - reference,user instruction 29 (38%)Technology 24 (31%)Future trends in librarianship 22 (28%)
6) I would like a thesis-like requirement for the degree True 59 (77%)False 17 (22%)
7) I would be willing to spend the following number of years on the degree 1 6 (7%)2 20 (26%)3 28 (36%)4 15 (19%)5 9 (11%)6 8 (10%)
8) This would be the most important aspect of the degree in my opinion Not having any effect on my career 10 (13%)Helping me toward promotion 26 (34%)Helping me increase my salary 23 (30%)Improving my professional self-esteem 26 (34%)Improving my status among my peers 15 (19%)Improving my status with patrons 6 (7%)
9) I would prefer An in-state private institution 11 (14%)An in-state public institution 42 (55%)Out-of-state institution would be as acceptable 23 (30%)Overseas institution 5 (6%)
10) I would prefer a faculty with strong experience rather than higher academic credentials if a choice had to be made True 66 (86%)False 10 (13%)
11) I would prefer to study part-time True 74 (97%)False 2 (2%)
12) I have worked on a doctorate in library science but have not completed the degree True 13 (17%)False 63 (82%)
13) I am working in this field Academic Library 43 (56%)Library Network 3 (3%)Public Library 10 (13%)School Library 6 (7%)Special Library 13 (17%)Other 5 (6%)
14) I do not believe accreditation is important since I already have an accredited terminal degree True 22 (28%)False 54 (71%) 15) Please comment
- A non-research DLS is unlikely to be taken seriously by faculty, as it does not meet the research standard expected of doctoral work. I believe that a non-research DLS would lower librarians' standing in the eyes of college and university faculty.
It might possibly improve our image among non-academics, however.- I have a doctorate in Psychology and thus would not pursue another.-
Work commitment/needs of organization currently impact some of my answers. I also attempted a distance learning/physically commuting doctorate about 10 years ago.
That the program was full time & that there was not then any realistic way to have release time made a huge difference. At the time the doctorate mattered for personal/professional goals.
Its impact on career would have then been minimal.- you probably can't use my questionnaire, since most of your questions after #4 assume that a respondent is interested in pursueing a Ph.D.- Would only enroll in an accredited program.
Willing to do research-degree studies if coursework could be done as part-time student. Whe I looked into LS doctoral programs several years ago, acceptance into any of the existing programs required that all the coursework be done as a full-time enrollment status.
I am self-supporting and NOT being employed is NOT an option for me.